Home > Monuments > Sidhudurg District
SINDHUDURG DISTRICT
INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS
MUMBAI CIRCLE
Sindhudurg, which means ‘fort in the sea’ gets its name from the Sindhudurg fort that is not only a monument well-known in the area but is also a significant national monument. Earlier a part of the Ratnagiri district, it has carved its own identity as an important tourist destination with attractions such as the forts of Sindhudurg and the impregnable Vijaydurg fort.
LIST OF MONUMENTS
Sindhudurg
DISTRICT Sindhudurg TEHSIL / SUB-DIVISION: Malvan
LOCALITY Malvan (Lat. 160 02’, Long. 730 27’)
NOTIFICATION NO.: BM.2907, dated 21.06.1910
APPROACH: Goa, Railway Station- Sawantwadi, Bus station- Malvan
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Built by Shivaji in 1668, the sea fort of Sindhudurg is an amazing bulwark of defense in the raging sea waters with ramparts about 2 miles in length and 12’ thick. The walls are low ranging from 29’ to 30’ high and within the fortifications are placed 24 bastions, generally semi – circular with fine embrasures for cannons, with a flat seat on the parapet. The entrance of the fort is at the northeast corner with 45 staircases leading from the inside to the top of the wall. There is a temple of Maruti near the gate and few small temples of Bhavani, Mahadeo, Jarimai and Shivaji. The temple dedicated to Shivaji is only one of its kinds in India and there are miniature shrines that hold his hand and feet impressions.
TOPOGRAPHICAL FEATURES: Lies 1Kms from Malvan and enjoys one of the most picturesque settings amidst lashing sea waves.
OWNERSHIP Central Government
IS IT UNDER RELIGIOUS USE No
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTROL Archaeological Survey of India, Mumbai Circle.
PUBLISHED REFERENCES,
IF ANY:
(1) M. S. Naravane, Forts of Maharashtra, (Delhi 1995). (2) J. B. Kamalapur, The Deccan Fort, (Bombay 1960).
Vijaydurg
DISTRICT Sindhudurg TEHSIL / SUB-DIVISION: Rajapur
LOCALITY Vijaydurg (Lat. 160 33’, Long. 730 20’)
NOTIFICATION NO.: 8645, dated 13.12.1916
APPROACH: Airport- Goa, Bus station- Rajapur
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Vijaydurg is one of the best forts in Konkan and was known as the ‘Gibraltar of Asia’, a tribute to its impregnable fortifications. Built by the Bijapur Kings and strengthened by Shivaji, the fortifications are massive with provision of 27 bastions. The triple line of fortification covers an area of 20 acres. In 1698 Angre made it the capital of his territory along the coast and in 1755 it came under the suzerainty of the Peshwas who made it District Headquarters with the appointment of Anandrao Dhulap as an Admiral.
TOPOGRAPHICAL FEATURES: It is located 85Kms from Malvan.
OWNERSHIP Central Government
IS IT UNDER RELIGIOUS USE No
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTROL Archaeological Survey of India, Mumbai Circle.
PUBLISHED REFERENCES,
IF ANY:
(1) Ratnagiri District Gazetteer, (Bombay 1962). (2) M. S. Naravane, Forts of Maharashtra, (Delhi 1995). (3) J. B. Kamalapur, The Deccan Fort, (Bombay 1960).