Home > Monuments > Satara Distric
SATARA DISTRICT
INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS
MUMBAI CIRCLE
Satara gets its name from the 17 walls, towers and gates that it is believed to have possessed and was the seat of the Maratha power till the Peshwas shifted base to Pune in 1749. The river Krishna is considered an important spine of the province and many of its monuments are located along it. Cave sites, temples and administrative structures distinguish this district.
LIST OF MONUMENTS
Jabreshwar Mahadev Temple
DISTRICT Satara TEHSIL / SUB-DIVISION: Phaltan
LOCALITY Phaltan (Lat. 170 59’, Long. 740 25’)
NOTIFICATION NO.: 3, dated 02.01.1954
APPROACH: Pune, Railway Station- Loanand, Bus station- Phaltan
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: This monument is datable to the 12th and 13th century and was originally dedicated to the 23rd Tirthankar i.e. Paraswanath. The temple consists of a portico supported by two elegantly carved pillars, main hall, antechamber and main shrine with a figure of Paraswanath with five-hooded canopy over his head. The outer wall of the temple i.e. niche is highly decorated with fine sculptures with minute details particularly mithuna couples in bas-relief and almost all the figures on the wall are Digamber Jains. Some are converted into the faith of Hinduism with manifestation of Vishnu and Shiva showing the gestures of Veradmudra later.
TOPOGRAPHICAL FEATURES: The monument is situated 29Kms from Loanand.
OWNERSHIP Central Government
IS IT UNDER RELIGIOUS USE Yes
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTROL Archaeological Survey of India, Mumbai Circle.
PUBLISHED REFERENCES,
IF ANY:

Krishna Temple
DISTRICT Satara TEHSIL / SUB-DIVISION: Karad
LOCALITY Old Mahabaleshwar (Lat. 170 57’, Long. 730 40’)
NOTIFICATION NO.: 6556, dated 14.03.1932
APPROACH: Airport- Pune, Railway Station- Loanand, Bus station- Phaltan
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Dedicated to Krishnabai or the river Krishna, the 300 year old temple consists of arches on three sides with an open space in the centre, the whole somewhat resembling a theatre and was built by a Satara Brahmana family named Anagala. It stands at the foot of the hill facing east and measures 36’6” in length and 16’6” in breadth, having an open courtyard in front measuring 62’3” in length and 32’6” in width, which contains 2 cisterns with a flight of steps leading down. Along three sides of the courtyard is a cloister 9’6” in width, with pillars 2’ square in front. Just opposite the entrance gate and partially projecting into the cisterns is a pavilion – the nandi’s enclosure. Here the nandi is seated over a platform raised 3’ above the courtyard floor. The temple plinth and that of the cloisters is raised 3’ above the courtyard, with flooring in cut-stone. The temple is formed of 2 bays with front portico and each bay is divided into 5 parts. The roof construction is peculiar as each sub-division of the bay forms a square, and is separately roofed in by brackets or corbels placed over the crown of the arches, the upper bracket projecting beyond the one just below it, thus forming a dome. The roof therefore internally shows as many domes as the sub-divisions, while externally the roof has been brought in a line and finished off in steps running longitudinally, but sloping transversely to carry off rainwater. The fourth or northern side of the courtyard is formed by a high stone wall, at the base of which, about 3’ apart, are five holes out of which water flows, believed to be of the five rivers Krishna, Koyna, Yenna, Gayatri and Savitri, which after running for about 10’, unite and fall through the mouth of a carved gaumukh into a cistern. Two other rivers, Bhagirathi and Saraswati, flow from two sides. The overflowing cistern fills a second reservoir, while the upper cistern in former days was used for bathing by Hindus of the lower castes.
TOPOGRAPHICAL FEATURES: It is situated in Mahabaleshwar town.
OWNERSHIP Central Government
IS IT UNDER RELIGIOUS USE Yes
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTROL Archaeological Survey of India, Mumbai Circle.
PUBLISHED REFERENCES,
IF ANY:
(1) J. B. B. R. A. S., Vol. IX, (Bombay 1869). (2) Bombay Gazetteer, Vol. XIX, (Satara 1885). (3) Satara District Gazetteer, (Bombay 1963).
Pant’s Kot
DISTRICT Satara TEHSIL / SUB-DIVISION: Karad
LOCALITY Karad (Lat. 170 17’, Long. 740 11’)
NOTIFICATION NO.: D-1569/49-A-2, dated 21.12.1949
APPROACH: Airport- Pune, Railway Station- Karad, Bus station- Karad
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: This fortress was the residential palace of the Pant Pratinidhis who were ruling in Satara region in the 18th century with Aundh as their capital. The edifice is a two storeyed building in the Maratha style with most of the structures in ruinous condition. The only remarkable thing about it is an extra quadrangle, on the south side of which is a fine hall of audience measuring 83’ x 31’and about 15’ high. It consists of a central nave and two aisles, with the east end consisting of a canopy for Bhavani Devi, in whose honour the hall was built. The ceiling is of teakwood, and ornamented with a lace work of wood and iron painted black. It was built by Kashibai, mother of Parashuram Shrinivas Pratinidhi.
TOPOGRAPHICAL FEATURES: The monument is situated about 47Kms to the South of Satara.
OWNERSHIP Central Government
IS IT UNDER RELIGIOUS USE No
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTROL Archaeological Survey of India, Mumbai Circle.
PUBLISHED REFERENCES,
IF ANY:
(1) Bombay Gazetteer, Vol. XIX, (Satara 1885). (2) Potdar (ed.), BISM – Excavations at Karad, (Poona 1949). (3) Satara District Gazetteer, (Bombay 1963).
Jakhinwadi Caves
DISTRICT Satara TEHSIL / SUB-DIVISION: Karad
LOCALITY Jakhinwadi (Lat. 170 14’, Long. 740 09’)
NOTIFICATION NO.: 270-G-A, dated 26.05.1909
APPROACH: Airport- Pune, Railway Station- Karad, Bus station- Karad
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: The Jakhinwadi caves consist of 63 Buddhist Caves of the Hinayana faith spread into three separate groups, all located in the Agashiva hill, excavated between 1st and the 4th century A. D. Series 1 overlooks Jakhinwadi valley, generally facing south which are the largest and most important series. Series 2 are caves located in the valley between two spurs while Series 3 overlooks Koyna and Karad valley and generally face north. There are 4 chaityagrihas, the rest being viharas. Most of the caves are plain with many inscriptions and were excavated in very soft variety of vesicular amygdaloid rock of pinkish roan colour unfavorable for carving.
TOPOGRAPHICAL FEATURES: Located close to Karad Town, these caves were excavated on the terminal spur running off from the Sahyadri range.
OWNERSHIP Central Government
IS IT UNDER RELIGIOUS USE No
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTROL Archaeological Survey of India, Mumbai Circle.
PUBLISHED REFERENCES,
IF ANY:
(1) J. B. B. R. A. S., Vol. III, Part-II, (Bombay 1869) (2) James Burgess, Revised List of Antiquarian remains in the Bombay Presidency (Vol. XVI), (Bombay 1885). (3) Bombay Gazetteer, Vol. XIX, (Satara 1885). (4) James Fergusson & James Burgess, The Cave Temples of India, (Delhi 1880). (5) Potdar (ed.), BISM – Excavations at Karad, (Poona 1949). (6) James Burgess, Report on the Buddhist cave temples and their inscriptions, being part of the 4th, 5th and 6th seasons’ operations of the Archaeological Survey of India of Western India (1876-77, 1877-78 and 1878-79), Vol. IV, (London 1883). (7) Satara District Gazetteer, (Bombay 1963).