Home > Monuments > Sangli District
SANGLI DISTRICT
INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS
MUMBAI CIRCLE
Another princely state, Sangli was one of the southern Maratha Jagirs. Well known for its agricultural produce, the river Krishna was the main spine and fertile plain. It forms a conglomeration with the city of Miraj and gets its name from the Marathi derivation of six lanes or saha galli.
LIST OF MONUMENTS
Mohammed Tughlaq’s Mosque
DISTRICT Sangli TEHSIL / SUB-DIVISION: Khanapur
LOCALITY Khanapur (Lat. 170 16’, Long. 740 43’)
NOTIFICATION NO.: BM.13616/24, dated 21.01.1937
APPROACH: Airport- Pune, Railway Station- Miraj, Bus station- Sangli
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: The mosque was constructed in the 14th century during the paramount rule of Mohammed Tughlaq (1325-51 AD). Like most of the early mosques in India, this structure too has been built with the use of material salvaged from ruined Hindu shrines of the Yadava period. There are two inscriptions in its pillars – one in Arabic and the other in Kannarese.
TOPOGRAPHICAL FEATURES: Located in Khanapur, 65Kms from Karad.
OWNERSHIP Private
IS IT UNDER RELIGIOUS USE No
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTROL Archaeological Survey of India, Mumbai Circle.
PUBLISHED REFERENCES,
IF ANY: