Home > Monuments > Ratnagiri Distric
RATANAGIRI DISTRICT
INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS
MUMBAI CIRCLE
Sindhudurg, which means ‘fort in the sea’ gets its name from the Sindhudurg fort that is not only a monument well-known in the area but is also a significant national monument. Earlier a part of the Ratnagiri district, it has carved its own identity as an important tourist destination with attractions such as the forts of Sindhudurg and the impregnable Vijaydurg fort.
LIST OF MONUMENTS
Dabhol Mosque
DISTRICT Ratnagiri TEHSIL / SUB-DIVISION: Dapoli
LOCALITY Dabhol (Lat. 170 35’, Long. 730 10’)
NOTIFICATION NO.: 2903, dated 21.06.1910
APPROACH: Airport- Pune, Railway Station- Khed, Bus station- Dapoli
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Built stylistically similar to the main Bijapur mosque, the Dabhol mosque is internally 63’x 54’and the minaret and dome are about 75’ high. Accessed by a broad flight of steps, it is enclosed on all sides by a stone wall. The center of the stone terrace in front of the mosque is said to have been built in 1659 by a Bijapur princess Aisha Bibi, popularly known as lady mother, Ma sahibah.
TOPOGRAPHICAL FEATURES: The mosque is situated 40Kms from Chiplun.
OWNERSHIP Private
IS IT UNDER RELIGIOUS USE Yes
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTROL Archaeological Survey of India, Mumbai Circle.
PUBLISHED REFERENCES,
IF ANY:
(1) Ratnagiri District Gazetteer, (Bombay 1962). (2) James Burgess, Revised List of Antiquarian remains in the Bombay Presidency (Vol. XVI), (Bombay 1885).
Panhala Kaji Caves
DISTRICT Ratnagiri TEHSIL / SUB-DIVISION: Dapoli
LOCALITY Panhala Kaji (Lat. 170 38’, Long. 730 14’)
NOTIFICATION NO.: 2/14/75-m, Sec.3 (II), dated 09.02.1982
APPROACH: Airport- Pune, Railway Station- Khed, Bus station- Dapoli
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: The Panhala Kaji caves are significant on account of the fact that they throw considerable light on the development of rock-cut architecture in Konkan area from the 3rd to 14th century A. D. There are 29 caves of which 28 are situated on the right bank of the mountain stream called Kotjai, one being situated a little distance away. Soon after the initial excavations by late Hinayanists in 3rd century A. D., the Vajrayana school took control of this monastic establishment. The cave is also important for its occupation by the followers of Nath Sampradaya in the 13th – 14th century A. D.
TOPOGRAPHICAL FEATURES: Located 19Kms west of village Wakavali on the Khed-Dapoli road.
OWNERSHIP Central Government
IS IT UNDER RELIGIOUS USE No
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTROL Archaeological Survey of India, Mumbai Circle.
PUBLISHED REFERENCES,
IF ANY:
(1) M. N. Deshpande, The Caves of Panhala Kaji, MASI, (New Delhi 1986).
Suvarnadurg
DISTRICT Ratnagiri TEHSIL / SUB-DIVISION: Dapoli
LOCALITY Harnai (Lat. 170 49’, Long. 730 06’)
NOTIFICATION NO.: BM.2907, dated 21.06.1910
APPROACH: Airport- Pune, Railway Station- Khed, Bus station- Dapoli
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Presumably built by the Bijapur King in 16th century A. D., Suvarnadurg was repaired and strengthened by Shivaji in 1660 A. D. Built on an irregular island about of quarter of a mile from the shore, it is perhaps the most striking of all the Ratnagiri coastal forts. Surrounded by high walls built of blocks of stones 10 to 12sq.ft, relieved by strong bastions and covering an area of about 8 acres, the fort consists of a stone-built magazine, extensive foundations of buildings, guard-room and several reservoirs. Later it was a station of Kanhoji Angre’s fleet and one of the head centers of piracy.
TOPOGRAPHICAL FEATURES: It is situated 30Kms. from Dapoli.
OWNERSHIP Central Government
IS IT UNDER RELIGIOUS USE No
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTROL Archaeological Survey of India, Mumbai Circle.
PUBLISHED REFERENCES,
IF ANY:
(1) J. B. Kamalapur, The Deccan Fort, (Bombay 1960). (2) Ratnagiri District Gazetteer, (Bombay 1962)
Jaygad
DISTRICT Ratnagiri TEHSIL / SUB-DIVISION: Ratnagiri
LOCALITY Jaygad (Lat. 170 17’, Long. 730 15’)
NOTIFICATION NO.: BM.2907, dated 21.06.1910
APPROACH: Airport- Pune, Railway Station- Khed, Bus station- Dapoli
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Jaygad fort, built by the Bijapur kings in the 16th century, extends over an area of 4 acres and stands close to the shore on a gently rising ground not more than 200’ above the sea level. The fortification consists of a strong upper fortress on the brow of the hills, with a lower line of defense on the shore immediately beneath it, joined to the upper works by a connected line of bastions down the steep slope of the hill. The main gate is at the top of a very steep flight of steps on the east side. At the close of 16th century, Jaygad passed into the hands of the Naik of Sangameshvar and was finally taken over by the British in June 1818.
TOPOGRAPHICAL FEATURES: It is situated 36Kms. from Ratnagiri and is closer to the sacred centre of Ganapati Pule.
OWNERSHIP Central Government
IS IT UNDER RELIGIOUS USE No
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTROL Archaeological Survey of India, Mumbai Circle.
PUBLISHED REFERENCES,
IF ANY:
(1) M. S. Naravane, Forts of Maharashtra, (Delhi 1995). (2) Ratnagiri District Gazetteer, (Bombay 1962). (3) J. B. Kamalapur, The Deccan Fort, (Bombay 1960).